[GTALUG] a simple security solution?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Mon Apr 15 16:33:00 EDT 2019

Hi Alvin,,
sort of in context.

> There are a number of IP based cameras that will do the kind of thing you
  want.

Need to be sure I follow the dictionary.  what does the IP mean in IP
based camera?
And the camera will send a written or verbal notification either to my
land line analog telephone, or  send me a regular e-mail?

> The first question you need to answer is do you want to use a cloud service
> or own and control your own data.
That is easy, i would want to control my own data, as  ideally nothing
would   be stored  unless I have been notified.  Otherwise I would simply
reset the camera's recording.

> The cloud service will be the easiest to setup and will let you do things but
> the downside is that amazon or google or .... will know your business.

Actually, I am not firmly certain the Icloud aspect will be easiest from
an accessibility / adaptive technology standpoint.  My only goals  would
be preserving footage if  indeed someone was  entering my place without
permission.
   The method of notification is most important since I will have to show
any footage to another if  someone is captured.

> Most all the modern cameras now come with some form of motion detection so it
> will satisfy your need to know when someone is coming to your door.
Actually, I just realized the need to keep from setting off my own
notification.  say if I have it running while I am away, when I return
the  notification will activate.    Not an issue when I am here of course.

> The next question is if you want wifi or hard wired.
>
> It may actually be harder to find a hard wired camera there are literally
> hundreds of wifi enabled cameras and if you can get a hardwired camera you
> may also want one that will take its power using POE.
again a dictionary question, what is poe?
Hardwired might be best, again the wifi one may require a setup that is
not accessibility or adaptive technology friendly.
Additionally, my thought about wifi is that it will send notifications in
a noninclusive for me  fashion, i. e. a text message.

> I have an old(5+ years) dlink camera that will do motion detection and upload
> the video to an FTP server and it works just fine.

Really? Do you have a model?  Perhaps I can find it on line somewhere.

> There appear to be some peephole cameras so it may be possible to get
> something that will fit into an existing door peephole otherwise you will be
> trying to figure out where to install the camera.
Actually the install location may be the simplest part of the problem.
To help folks picture, my apartment is  above a commercial  space with what
is technically my front door  facing the back.
  the door I wish to monitor is at the bottom of  the stairs leading to my
landing.  I have two elevated options for camera placement, one a shelf
practically at the window level which is set high in the door, and better
still a very tall entertainment centre that is flat on top, and right next
to   an outlet.  My door has no peephole.  The goal is placement so one
does  not know there is a camera  around if that makes sense.
Thanks for  providing some ideas Alvin,
Kare