[GTALUG] Backups with Bacula

Tony Fernandez tfernandez.sc2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 12:54:26 EDT 2018

Hi All,

I just recently joined your group and was hoping for some insight or advise
on building a backup solution.

My question is related to Bacula on FreeNAS. I hope it's ok that I ask if
not I understand.

==Background==
We run a mixed environment (Windows and Linux). I've been slowly moving
services that we run over to Linux wherever possible however I've run into
an issue with our existing backup server. It is a Microsoft product. I'm
not looking for help on it, instead I am looking for advise on using bacula.

I've configured Bacula and have it working successfully and I like how I
can deploy agents onto my servers to handle backups. I love the distributed
achitecture.

So my question: I'd like to use FreeNAS as our StorageDaemon (sd) going
forward. I'd also like to do remote offsite backups by either rsyncing
files over to a remote server or by getting FreeNAS to backup to an
external HDD that I rotate weekly.

==Questions==
Does anyone see any issues with this?
What do you think about the HDD rotation?

Thanks,
Tony