[GTALUG] programming system questions

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 08:45:34 EDT 2018

On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 2:59 AM ac via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 10:44:45 -0500
> o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 8:54 AM ac via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> <snip>
> > > sheepbytes.ca is cool, the local code looks neat and tidy.  I am not
> > > sure about the security thereof. And just imho S/R would not be
> > > optimal to remake this specific java app.. just from playing with
> > > the demo and reading the tech doc, if you do decide to remake this
> > > in java/whatever it will be a lot of work, even with a fw and/or base. just
> > > saying :)
> > If I was going to add the monte carlo portion, I'm not at this time,
> > there would be a lot more complexity under the hood. At present I'm thinking
> > something like maybe LibreOffice's dbase for a front end and a
> > postgresql back end. I feel no need to totally re-invent the wheel.
> > If there is another 'kind' of 'frontend' where with some python (also to be learned) needed for glue and
> > calculations well I'm looking.
>
> Python rocks :) I had to learn it myself a few years ago. Although
> for what you want to do (sheepbytes) maybe try to use what you know?
> what are you fluent or semi fluent in already? Java/PHP?
> imho, many languages will easily do what you need :)
> drawing from my own experience, something like sheepmates is not so
> much about what you dev it in as the design and structure will take
> 90+% of the time and the coding will be very easy and very simple.
> The design and structure will anyway highlight the tools you need, so it is
> not really so much about gut feel as it is about what you want/need.

Me know nudtink!
Programming has been something that I have not pursued at all to date. Starting
because of a severe lack of tools in the playpen that I'm now working in. There
is some commercial software out there - - - - its just hugely siloed
and not always
as useful as one is lead to believe by the sales literature. Then I
really don't like
some company having access to my own information. Oh well - - - - I guess I'm a
sucker for doing things the hard way!

> > > a lot of what sheepmates is and does is also data related...
> > > If I were making this, for myself and for local use, I would
> > > probably enter the formulas into a spreadsheet and calculate my feed
> > > requirements, etc from that...(yes, I am quite lazy - plus this way
> > > I can give my spreadsheet out to my sheep mates and get free beer)
> >
> > I will look into if there is a way to use spreadsheet stuff but part
> > of the issue is that there is a lot of behind the scenes stuff that brings up
> > notices/warning > and gets connected. What you see is over a bunch of other logic and
> > some of that is where more flexibility is needed than in the present iteration.
> >
> indeed.
> which is why a spreadsheet will work so well, as the flexibility is
> only limited by the users ability and skills (to use Calc and design a
> spreadsheet that uses sheets, macros and other toys effectively :)
>  - afaik spreadsheets can also have popups (dialog) that can be
> used for warnings and notices, etc.)
>
> So, a stock standard Calc will probably do the required job quite
> easily, if it is designed and used effectively. It is also easy to
> distribute, can easily be customised and chosen/selected/required data
> could also be exported to a later S/R and from multiple sources :)

Worth looking into - - - one more thing to do! (grin!!!)

> > I was going to offer the modified back to the previous as I don't
> > really want to 'own' it merely to extend the present offerings.
> >
> cool :)

The use community is likely quite small. There could be lots more people
that could use it but finding them - - - - hugely distributed and too many
would rather someone else does the work for them. (Its easier that way
but then, imo at least, a major management item is being done by someone
with no skin in the game.)

Regards

Dee