[GTALUG] OT: UEFI and Windows mysteries [was: New Deaktop PC -- To Run debian Linux - PCPartPicker Recipe]

Stewart Russell scruss at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 09:50:32 EDT 2018

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018, 16:53 Bob Jonkman via talk, <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> I welcome further off-topic insights, although the list moderators may
> not be so tolerant.

I think "hardware that refuses to run Linux" is pretty on-topic. The threat
of the locked-out BIOS* is still with us. Hugh and Scott's continuing
issues with Intel Atom compatibility on Linux are troubling. Any barrier to
Linux "just working" makes what we do more niche.

 Stewart

*: which, as Hugh pointed out, doesn't really exist any more. A BIOS needs
a BDOS (Basic Disk Operating System), as any CP/M user would once have known