[GTALUG] OT: UEFI and Windows mysteries [was: New Deaktop PC -- To Run debian Linux - PCPartPicker Recipe]

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Mar 28 16:53:30 EDT 2018

Hugh wrote:
> UEFI firmware usually (but not always) includes a CSM
> (Compatibility Support Module) to emulate BIOS for the sake of old
> OSes.  If present in the firmware, it usually can be enabled or
> disabled in the firmware config menus.  As far as I know, all
> stand-alone motherboards have a CSM (Win 10 tablets often do not).

I recently repaired an Asus laptop in which the firmware had no
setting for compatibility. I was alarmed, but it worked fine with
Ubuntu 17.10, although not the orginal Win10 on the hard drive that
came with it.

It always booted to the firmware config screen, and wouldn't load the
OS (Win10); wouldn't load the .EFI file from the system32 folder. I
tried to swap in an old drive for Win7, and Windows booted but refused
to behave properly, as I suspected it might -- WiFi drivers didn't
exist in Win7 for that model laptop. So I swapped the original
non-booting drive back, and mysteriously everything worked again...
*Now* the .EFI files loaded, and the laptop was back to normal.

I don't much like the new, low-cost hardware. I've also had other
problems on an ultra-cheap desktop with minimal firmware settings.
Wouldn't dual-boot Ubuntu (probably 16.04) unless I switched it to
Compatibility Mode, but then it wouldn't boot Windows. Had to leave
detailed instructions for the client on switching in and out of
Compatibility Mode...

I welcome further off-topic insights, although the list moderators may
not be so tolerant.

- --Bob.