[GTALUG] New Deaktop PC -- To Run debian Linux - PCPartPicker Recipe;

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Mar 27 12:27:33 EDT 2018

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 12:14:57PM -0400, Giles Orr via talk wrote:
> It's probably too late to convince you of this (as I suspect it would
> strongly imply a move to a newer and more expensive processor) but getting
> USB-C and USB3.1 on the motherboard would be good.  You can _probably_ get
> a PCI-E card later, but I wonder if it will fully support USB-C's
> relatively complex alt-modes and etc.  Of course, it may not support them
> on the motherboard either, but I think it's worth a try.
>
> I'd also encourage you - fairly strongly - to not get PS/2 accessories.
> You're already encountering one of the problems, trying to plug two devices
> into one port - I suspect that won't go well for you.  Not only is USB much
> more versatile, it's much easier to "split," and add more ports.
>
> And finally, I'm in awe of your memory strategy.  But I totally agree: max
> out every slot - when you can afford it.  That's the way to go.  And 16G is
> already a decent baseline.

Well I discovered on my laptop a few years ago that suspend to disk takes
a very long time when you put 24GB ram in a laptop and use a 5400rpm disk.

An SSD makes it much better of course.

And my desktop machine can stick with 32GB, rather than maxing it out
at 64GB (well 128GB can be done with a special type of DIMM that I have
no idea how to get).

--
Len Sorensen