[GTALUG] Meltdown performance hit.

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso at utoronto.ca
Thu Jan 11 18:21:47 EST 2018

On 11/01/18 16:59, Alvin Starr via talk wrote:
> I cannot prove this yet but I believe there has been a big performance
> hit in the cloud providers.
>
> I use amazon for a couple of lightly loaded servers
>
> Attached is the traffic graph from the last 2 weeks.
>
> Nothing has changed but for the reboot required by AWS as part of their
> patch roll out.
>
> The reboot was at Tue JanĀ  2 09:02.
>
> It may be just coincidence but the huge step-wise increase in base load
> is just crazy given nothing on my side changed but for the reboot.
>
> So I take exception with Intel's comment that most folks will not notice
> the performance hit.

When you say server, is this a VM or bare metal? Is it dedicated or how
is it provisioned on AWS?

The reason I ask is that if it is a VM, it could very well be the case
that it was migrated to another host that may have higher resource
contention. For example, what does steal show up as when you watch in
top during the perceived slowdowns?

Cheers, Jamon