[GTALUG] Meltdown performance hit.

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Thu Jan 11 19:13:18 EST 2018

On 01/11/2018 06:21 PM, Jamon Camisso via talk wrote:

> On 11/01/18 16:59, Alvin Starr via talk wrote:
>> I cannot prove this yet but I believe there has been a big performance
>> hit in the cloud providers.
>>
>> I use amazon for a couple of lightly loaded servers
>>
>> Attached is the traffic graph from the last 2 weeks.
>>
>> Nothing has changed but for the reboot required by AWS as part of their
>> patch roll out.
>>
>> The reboot was at Tue JanĀ  2 09:02.
>>
>> It may be just coincidence but the huge step-wise increase in base load
>> is just crazy given nothing on my side changed but for the reboot.
>>
>> So I take exception with Intel's comment that most folks will not notice
>> the performance hit.
> When you say server, is this a VM or bare metal? Is it dedicated or how
> is it provisioned on AWS?
>
> The reason I ask is that if it is a VM, it could very well be the case
> that it was migrated to another host that may have higher resource
> contention. For example, what does steal show up as when you watch in
> top during the perceived slowdowns?

Its a paravirt VM.
The steal time is much less than 1% bouncing between 0 and 0.2

Yes it is possible that other VM's are stealing resources leaving less
compute power for my instance but I have had extremely stable cpu
utilization going back something like 2 months.
But the step is significant within a matter of a day it went from 2.5%
utilization to 17.4% utilization in 2 steps.

My image is held up by the moderator so I posted here (
https://owncloud.netvel.net/s/G3HGQUEb5saLBSn )if your interested.

The timing is suspect and I had another server that sees periodic work
and it completely collapsed because of the change in performance at just
the same time.

A bit of searching shows that others are complaining about the same problem.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||