[GTALUG] PC build recommendation

Stewart Russell scruss at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 17:01:04 EST 2018

On 27 February 2018 at 16:08, Alex Volkov via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> What is the procedure for calibration? is there a way to do it in Linux?
> Do I need a special device for that?

Yes, you need a device, but the procedure is simple. I can lend you my
ColorHug, a display calibrator that runs *only* under Linux. Takes about 20
minutes to do a full calibration per screen. It spits out an ICC profile
that (should) be automatically picked up by your display manager. Picky
types recalibrate frequently. I do it annually, at best.

Most displays come set way too cold, so whites are blue-white out the box.
Your display will look a bit pink for a while until you're used to it, but
you should notice you can see a bunch more brightness levels. If you're
running a dual-monitor setup, make sure you calibrate them both - having
one eye-searing cold blue and the other warmer looks terrible.

  Stewart