[GTALUG] The current state of NFS

Alex Volkov avolkov at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 10:30:48 EST 2018

Hi Giles,

My experience with NFS has been entirely different, for me it was a
simple fast system, that's faster than SAMBA and SSH, that let me copy
files over a network where the speed limitation would be either hard
drive throughput or a network card speed (if it were 100Mbps link). From
the replies above it looks like NFSv4 is a completely different beast
and it in your scenario it wouldn't really make sense to use it over
SSH, so I'm going to discuss trade-offs of  NFSv3 vs SSH.

The limitations of Raspberry Pi is that it's got only 100Mbps Ethernet
port and that it's doesn't have a lot of hardware for encryption
compared to x86 CPU, you would be limited to about 2-3MBps transfer rate
over SSH and you might be able to achieve about 10-12MBps transfer rate
over NFS. This is all depends on how big the backup files are -- if they
are about 20MB each than there's no point in setting up NFS, if they are
about 1GB each, than what you can do is to encrypt the files using GPG
on the server where they are being backed up and then transfer them to
an unsecured NFS share on Raspberry Pi when they then would be further
processed and moved off the share.

I'm assuming for Raspberry Pi you would use an external USB hard drive
for storage, you could also increase networks speed to about 400Mbps if
you use USB2 to Ethernet Gigabit network adapter, which could be bought
for about $20-$40.

Alex.