[GTALUG] Which Distro is Best for Running a ZFS-on-Linux Fileserver.

David Mason dmason at ryerson.ca
Fri Aug 24 16:44:26 EDT 2018

I am interested in this question too.  I currently am running on Debian 7.7 but I’m not sure I can upgrade to a more current version, which is frustrating because I want to install Java (to run a Minecraft server) and (when I tried, so while back) I couldn’t get it to install because I had such an old version of Debian.

So I was thinking of FreeBSD, but OmniOS looks pretty interesting. I won’t be doing any upgrade for several months (because as far as I can see, I need to install a new ZFS system and copy it over. I can’t risk loosing this system). It would be good to have a backup, anyway. I could try this on a virtual system, but I don’t know long it would take to back-up over the network.

../Dave