[GTALUG] Which Distro is Best for Running a ZFS-on-Linux Fileserver.

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Aug 24 15:51:13 EDT 2018

| From: right.maple.nut via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| Hello All, Like the Subject Line says, I'm setting up a ZFS File Server
| for my Home Network. Given that I will have to go to the trouble of
| setting up the Distro and Migrating the Linux Install to ZFS Root, I
| don't want to have to do this too many times. So, which Distro are the
| favourite for Running ZFS-on-Linux? Also, is there such a thing as a
| Linux Distro that is smart enough to give you a choice if you are
| willing to use non-GPL'ed code in the Installer, so that I can just
| Install Directly on a ZFS Pool? Thank You in Advance for your Input.
| Regards, Amos

Why not run a *BSD?

Or something Solaris-related?  Open Indiana????

- They more naturally run ZFS.

- there is no clash-of-licenses drama.

- the code is probably more tested.

- there are even out of the box fileserver distros based on *BSD.

- TrueOS, FreeNAS?

Is there something that you don't like about UNIX (as opposed to
Linux) for a file server?