[GTALUG] Which Distro is Best for Running a ZFS-on-Linux Fileserver.

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 15:43:11 EDT 2018

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018, 2:27 PM right.maple.nut via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Like the Subject Line says, I'm setting up a ZFS File Server for my Home
> Network.
>
> Given that I will have to go to the trouble of setting up the Distro and
> Migrating the Linux Install to ZFS Root, I don't want to have to do this
> too many times.
>
> So, which Distro are the favourite for Running ZFS-on-Linux?
>
> Also, is there such a thing as a Linux Distro that is smart enough to give
> you a choice if you are willing to use non-GPL'ed code in the Installer, so
> that I can just Install Directly on a ZFS Pool?

I think that if I were certain I wanted a ZFS machine on my network, I'd
look into one of the Illumos variants, most likely OmniOS.
https://omniosce.org/

That is a fork of Solaris, which is where ZFS is really native.

All the other implementations of ZFS are ports, and likely a bit less
satisfactory.

That obviously isn't Linux.  But it shouldn't be ridiculously unfamiliar.