[GTALUG] Request for a talk (or a doc)

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 20:56:05 EDT 2017

On 2017-09-02 12:33 PM, Evan Leibovitch via talk wrote:

> But no matter. Most of what I want can now be done easily using my
> newly-mapped Compose key. Guess it can't be a standard location because
> there is still a diversity of hardware keyboard layouts out there.

Sun keyboards had it second from the right in the bottom row. It even
had a light to show when it was active. So the correct key should really
be (Windows) Menu key on most modern keyboards. But I use Right Alt on
all of my machines for the ⎄ function because I use Right Alt on all of
my machines for it.

It's possible to get a bit carried away with Compose key customization.
I used to base my systems on this - https://github.com/kragen/xcompose -
but it's got waaay too complex. I can never remember how to get the
higher-level <Multi_key> keys to trigger.

Do any distros enable the Compose key by default? It's a shame if they
don't, as otherwise we're left without typographic quotes and dashes,
easy fractions (⎄ 1 2 → ½) and a bunch of other handy characters like ¢,
µ and £.

 Stewart