[GTALUG] Kernel and/or X upgrade broke my video setup

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Oct 11 09:05:00 EDT 2017

Hi there.

I tried sending a message the other day on this but it got no bites. But
I'm a little desperate to figure out what's happening and I've never been
good at configuring X.

Something broke on my system and the only thing I can pin it to is a recent
upgrade in my Linux Mint setup that involved both new kernels and X servers.

What's happened is that my two video screen setup, once logged in, does not
recognize the second screen as being a different screen, so they now just
mirror each other when I could once have then side by side as one big
horizontal screen.

What's stranger (to me) is that when logged out (running LightDM) the
system DOES recognize my mouse pointer going from one screen to the next.
So somewhere it IS being recognized as a separate screen, but once I log in
that goes away and I'm back to a mirroring situation..

​Any suggestions!​

--
Evan Leibovitch
Toronto, Canada