[GTALUG] touch screens

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 11 11:01:21 EDT 2017

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 07:08:40AM -0500, o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
> Greetings
>
> Reading of the announcement of 2 new 'smart' phones at the meeting prompts
> me to ask the question.
>
> Am I the only person who finds that touch screens don't work worth a !@#$%^
> using my fingers?
>
> Thumb, index and third finger take repeated attempts to get a result where
> the fourth finger seems to work 'ok' its not very 'comfortable'. I do work
> with my hands, albeit not like I used to, so I do have calluses (they
> really aren't as thick as they have been at some times in the past though),
> - - -- is that
> possibly why I haven't been able to find a touch screen that 'works'.
>
> I haven't only tried one 'brand' of phone either. The iPhone is a little
> less problematic but not enough so to warrant any kind of purchase from me
> (that's without the absolutely stupid pricing levels). Have used LG,
> Samsung and Motorola and the issue is consistent.
>
> At this point my opinion on touch screens is that they are over priced
> gadgets that I would rather not use.

I know at least one person that can not use capacitive touch screens.
They just don't work.  The older resistive touch screens work fine,
but of course those can't do multitouch so no one seems to want to put
those in phones anymore.

I guess using touch screen compatible gloves don't help?

The person I know of with the problem works as a gardener, so perhaps
it is a thick skin issue for people that do actual work.

--
Len Sorensen