[GTALUG] Fan Control on Linux

ac ac at main.me
Sat Nov 11 04:35:52 EST 2017

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 20:37:43 -0500
Kevin Cozens via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> On 2017-11-10 03:31 PM, Giles Orr via talk wrote:
> > I have a very old laptop I'm trying to rehabilitate and use with
> > Debian: it's got an AMD Turion chip and 1G of RAM.  Works fine.Â
> > But one annoying problem under Linux: the fan runs flat out all the
> > time.
> If the fan connection to the MB is only two pins it may not have the
> ability to operate at anything other than full speed. Check the MB

keyword, 'may' on my notebook the main fan has two pins but it has
variable speed... so i guess ymmv

so +1 for checking the manual or contact manufacturer website/support

> manual. As this is a laptop you may find it hard to locate
> information about fan control.
> You could add a circuit to do variable speed control of the fan but
> it may be difficult, if not impossible, to fit it in to the laptop case.

again depending on notebook/laptop model... many of the older models
(before space became such a fixating factor) actually has lots of crawl
space, just yesterday i added some custom components to one of
my old HP's and recall thinking how cool it is that it can all fit
inside the case :)

Andre