[GTALUG] Fan Control on Linux

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Fri Nov 10 20:37:43 EST 2017

On 2017-11-10 03:31 PM, Giles Orr via talk wrote:
> I have a very old laptop I'm trying to rehabilitate and use with Debian:
> it's got an AMD Turion chip and 1G of RAM.  Works fine.  But one annoying
> problem under Linux: the fan runs flat out all the time.Â

If the fan connection to the MB is only two pins it may not have the ability
to operate at anything other than full speed. Check the MB manual. As this
is a laptop you may find it hard to locate information about fan control.

You could add a circuit to do variable speed control of the fan but it may
be difficult, if not impossible, to fit it in to the laptop case.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.