[GTALUG] Flatpak: Anyone with Experience or Opinions on It?

David Collier-Brown davecb.42 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 14:21:43 EDT 2017

On 03/11/17 01:09 PM, Dhaval Giani wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 1:04 PM, John Sellens via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>> I've long found it disappointing the way shared libraries are dealt with
>> in linux and other OSs.
>>
>> To me, the obvious solutions is to install every library into a directory
>> named for the version, or name the library itself with a version number.
>> Then, if you wish, a default version can be chosen and linked/symlinked
>> into the default directory.
>>
>> That way, a program that wants a particular version gives the
>> compiler/linker the appropriate search path to find the preferred version.
>>
> How do you ensure security updates happen everywhere, or that you are
> not linking to an insecure version? What about old software which is
> no longer maintained? Also work is not duplicated?
>
> Dhaval

I very much like the library maintainers (meaning me!) adding a new
version to an interface whenever it has to change.  Then the caller by
default gets the current one, with the security bugs fixed, but can
specify an old one of they need a different semantics. (Or, horror of
horrors, if they currently depend on the bug)

We did that a lot inside Sun, and the Linux glibc maintainers do too: it
made my work a _lot_ easier when stuff was changing quickly.

--dave