[GTALUG] BOOST, the big package with the bad install instructions

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Tue Mar 21 19:16:16 EDT 2017

On 03/21/2017 04:28 PM, Stewart C. Russell via talk wrote:
> On 2017-03-20 03:32 PM, Kevin Cozens via talk wrote:
>> I didn't know anything about Boost until I had to deal with it as a set
>> of dependencies on something I wanted to compile.
> Some of the imaging libraries I use as part of my document filing system
> use Boost. Thankfully, all of them can be coerced to use library
> versions installed by:
>
>      sudo apt install libboost-all-dev
>
> I wouldn't want to venture further than that.
>
>   Stewart

 From www.boost.org.
"
Boost provides free peer-reviewed portable C++ source libraries.

We emphasize libraries that work well with the C++ Standard Library.
Boost libraries are intended to be widely useful, and usable across a
broad spectrum of applications. The Boost license encourages both
commercial and non-commercial use.

We aim to establish "existing practice" and provide reference
implementations so that Boost libraries are suitable for eventual
standardization. Ten Boost libraries are included in the C++ Standards
Committee's Library Technical Report (TR1) and in the new C++11
Standard. C++11 also includes several more Boost libraries in addition
to those from TR1. More Boost libraries are proposed for standardization
in C++17.
"

So its kind of like the glibc for things that are not in glibc.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||