[GTALUG] BOOST moved into a IDE using APT-Get

dank at enggrp.com dank at enggrp.com
Tue Mar 21 19:34:31 EDT 2017

Hello all,

Kevin Cozens and/or Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> I didn't know anything about Boost until I had to deal with it as a set
of dependencies on something I wanted to compile.
> Some of the imaging libraries I use as part of my document filing system
use Boost. Thankfully, all of them can be coerced to use library
versions installed by:
>     sudo apt install libboost-all-dev
> I wouldn't want to venture further than that.

Dan says:
The official BOOST site has a bit of disparaging dialog on repackaging
efforts of various sorts. I think if your target system is x86, then
apt-get is probably a fine choice. But if you have to either x-compile, or
worry about updates, or want to enable non specific improvements in the
indefinite future of any calling app, the the hard way is the easy way !

I'm just leaning into asio now, the sockets and file system interface
package. I have a commercial app running with it all made form Berkeley
sockets, and this is ok. But I think the customer base is hankering for
more security ( not just http ) etc and all the stuff I don't understand
is probably in there someplace. So as a contingency, Im constructing the
alternative while the first few hundred users squeek like Guinea pigs some
now.

regs
Dan

my ref: boost, gtalug