[GTALUG] NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet K1

Michael Galea michael at galeahome.ca
Mon Jan 23 13:09:45 EST 2017

On 01/22/17 11:26, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> | From: Michael Galea via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | Does anyone own an NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet K1 and can they recommend it?  I am
> | looking for a recommendation of this tablet for the purpose of web and email.
> | I have heard that it being a gaming tablet with four cores at 2.2 Ghz, it
> | should be overkill for the intended use.  But that is just what I want.
> | If anyone knows of a better android based tablet, please let me know.
>
> There are Android tablets for all tastes and needs.  You have to
> figure out what matters to you.  That's not actually easy.  I found
> out by living with a few tablets for some time.
>
> The rest of this is about my impressions.  Others may feel differently.
>
> I imagine that I would find it intolerable to use a tablet without a
> keyboard for routine email.
>
> I do find tablet keyboards not very good:  if you want a keyboard on a
> portable device, it is hard to beat the clamshell laptop form-factor.
> Even tablets that imitate the clamshell get it wrong: either a fixed
> angle or too much of the weight behind the screen (balance problems).
>
> For web browsing, I find a tablet very nice.  I can lounge in a way
> that you cannot do with a clamshell.  For browsing, I love my Nexus 10
> (light, high-res screen, longish battery life, no fan noise).
>
> I have two convertible laptops that can fold up to be like a tablet.
> I never use that feature.  Why?
>
> - conventional Linux distros (I use Fedora) don't handle tablet
>   gestures usefully.
>
> - when folded up, these things still have fans
>
> - they still weigh the same, much more than a tablet
>
> - on one (Yoga 2 Pro), the keyboard remains exposed on the underside.
>   That just feels weird.  And Linux leaves it enabled (last I
>   checked).
>
> - battery life is much shorter than a tablet
>
> Large tablets are nice to use.  Small ones are nicer to carry.  I
> never take my 10" tablet out of the house.  My Android phone does most
> tabletty things when I'm out and about.  If I need somthing better, I
> take a notebook computer.  There doesn't seem to be a sufficient niche
> for something between the phone and a notebook when on the road.
>
> I have a few smaller tablets that I don't use.  Some run Windows.  I
> intended to put Linux on those but that's probably silly.
>
> Tablets have limited lifetimes.  The manufacturers soon get tired of
> releasing updated firmware.  You can decide how much that matters.  I
> have an original iPad and never turn it on because it has been
> unsupportd for so long.  The Nexus 10 has been unsupported for Andoid
> 6, but it is still fine for now.  You can get a Kobo Arc 10HD tablet
> with great specs for about $100 but its firmware is uncomfortably old
> (there is a CyanogenMod for it but not well debugged).
>
> ====
>
> Cheap Windows tablets often have resource limitations that are
> unreasonable.  1G of RAM is too little.  16G of eMMC is too little;
> [...]
I enjoy using our Kobo ARC even without a keyboard. My beefs are that I
want a bigger display and snappier web page rendering.  Also my wife and
I both use the beast, and account switching gets to be a pain.

Our prime applications under Android are web browsing, email from our
domains imap and mpdroid (for running our pi-based mpd server that pumps
hdmi to the media center).

email: My wife has much better ways to draft and view more complex
emails on a slow to boot computer, but she uses the Kobo to say yes to
acting gigs (as an extra). When a casting call goes out via email, the
first responders usually get the job.  So she likes the Kobo's sub-30
second trip into the mail app, where she can seize the prize.

I real question is, will web pages render faster on a faster tablet?  If
most of the time to render a page is fetching the page and not tab
creation + rendering, then I would probably go for a bigger android tablet.

PS: I wish Canada Computers would take one out of the box for me to try
but they don't display that unit, just stock it.

--
Michael Galea