[GTALUG] NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet K1

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jan 23 10:06:59 EST 2017

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 04:37:20PM -0500, Michael Galea via talk wrote:
> Does anyone own an NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet K1 and can they recommend it?  I am
> looking for a recommendation of this tablet for the purpose of web and
> email.
>
> I have heard that it being a gaming tablet with four cores at 2.2 Ghz, it
> should be overkill for the intended use.  But that is just what I want.
>
> If anyone knows of a better android based tablet, please let me know.

Well the specs are certainly pretty good.

1920x1200 resolution on an 8" sounds rather nice.

16GB flash is not bad, especially when it has a uSD slot for extra space.

Quad Cortex-A15 at 2.2GHz is a fair bit of processing power, and 2GB
ram and the nvidia GPU certainly means some things should go at a
decent speed.  No idea what that means for battery life.  It appears to
have a decent sized battery at least.

Wifi/GPS/HDMI/etc all looks pretty good.

No 802.11ac, but 802.11a/n isn't bad either.

Camera isn't impressive, but who are these people taking pictures with
a tablet anyhow?

Android 6.0 available, so it isn't totally obsolete software wise.

I do agree that email on a tablet with a touch screen keyboard sounds
painful, but I guess if you are mainly reading it would be fine and some
of the android keyboard apps are better than others too, if you can get
used to their interesting writing methods.

--
Len Sorensen