[GTALUG] pnc empower browser;

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Sat Dec 16 19:01:48 EST 2017

Brief comments below.

Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: Myles Braithwaite 👾 via talk
To: GTALUG Talk
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2017 12:09 PM
Subject: Re: [GTALUG] [browser bitching] Re: Programming languages (in
comparison?) - -was Learn Swift for Apple/iOS. Learn ??? for
Google/Android.

Jamon Camisso via talk wrote:
>> I haven't read the article yet, but I always see people resorting to
>> selenium, when other tools seem like they might have less overhead.
>> Is
>> there any mention of phantomjs? http://phantomjs.org/
>
>I've used it a couple of times, generating PDFs from a web page in PHP
>and using it like I would Selenium in Node. I've never really thought
>of
>using it with Python but I just found this SO answer that says you can
>use it as a WebDriver in Selenium:
><https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13287490/is-there-a-way-to-use-phantomjs-in-python>.
>So I'm definitely going to start using it.
>
>Thanks for helping me see stuff from a different angle.

PhantomJS looks quite potent.

Seems a little ironic, that the predecessor discussion thread was
badmouthing javascript, when it turns out that JS seems to offer
(unsurprisingly, I guess) lots of rich functionality of potential use in
a pnc empower browser.

I expect that a production version of a pnc browser would be delivered
as an installable binary (not as e.g. python source code). So long as
all the JS programming used is built in to the pnc browser's binary
installation package, this would e,iminate the foolishmess of repeatedly
fetching the JS (used directly by pnc) dynamically via the Internet.