[GTALUG] Programming languages (in comparison?) - -was Learn Swift for Apple/iOS. Learn ??? for Google/Android.

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 06:28:44 EST 2017

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 12:06 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <
talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> | From: ted leslie via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> snip
>
> I spend most of my programming time in C.  The next language I intend
> to use is Rust.  I like its ideas but proof of the pudding is in the
> eating.  The cases where I would recommend C for new projects are few
> and far between.

So I know precious little about programming languages. I looked up 'Rust
programming language'.

Wikipedia (which can often be useful if not always totally accurate) listed
it as:

 " . . . a systems programming language sponsored by Mozilla Research,
which describes it as a "safe, concurrent, practical language," supporting
functional and imperative-procedural paradigms. Rust is syntactically
similar to C++, but its designers intend it to provide better memory safety
while maintaining performance."

OK - - - sponsored by Mozilla (AIUI that sort means that its their baby)
and its to '. . . provide better memory safety . . ." .
Well given how Mozilla products work for me - - - they don't really know
anything about how to use memory. The only way I can keep using FF is to
kill it every couple three days and then restart it. Somehow that isn't my
idea of memory usage done well so if that's Rust - - - well then that's a
total non-starter for me!

Dee