[GTALUG] Learn Swift for Apple/iOS. Learn ??? for Google/Android.

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Dec 15 11:22:51 EST 2017

On Sat, Dec 09, 2017 at 05:56:19PM -0500, William Park via talk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I never understood tablet and phone apps market.  But, through recent
> exposure at work, my interest has gone up a notch.
>
> If I want to develop some app for iPad and iPhone, then I would start
> learning Swift.  It's new, and there may be opportunity for apps and
> jobs for early adopters.
>
> What do I learn, if I want to develop Android apps?  Can I use C, and
> more importantly, is there C SDK for Android?

My impression was that iOS used ObjC and Android used Java (with C or C++
native libraries in some cases, although that can cause issues for none
arm android devices, or even systems with different generations of arm
I believe.).

Maybe my understanding is about half a decade out of date though.

There is certainly no C SDK for Android.  Not going to happen.  All you
can do is put your C code in a library and then call that from your java
frontend gui.

--
Len Sorensen