[GTALUG] Desktop swap

David Ing isss@daviding.com isss at daviding.com
Tue Aug 1 09:05:56 EDT 2017

Hugh, the question from Evan was about experiences.

Evan's original question was about having both KDE and Cinnamon on Linux
Mint.  I haven't replicated that situation directly, but am close with
Unity and KDE on Ubuntu.

While the majority of voices on the web seem to be believe that Ubuntu +
KDE Desktop (installed via Synaptic) --> Kubuntu, my experience is that
that isn't 100% valid.  I'm finding that Kubuntu (and its associated
bundled products) are sufficiently different from Ubuntu that the practical
way for coherence is to keep them separate.   As an example, KDE Connect
finds my Android phone practically out of the box on Kubuntu.  In theory,
installing KDE Connect installs on Ubuntu from Synaptic, but then I
couldn't configure it to connect, and discovered the many bug reports of
people not getting that to work.

I don't have enough experiences with Fedora to comment on that.  And, I
suspect the fans of Arch are snickering about whether the desktop
environment can (or should) be fully decoupled from the underlying
infrastructure.  The fact the KDE team seems to do development first on KDE
Neon continuously, and then Kubuntu into 6 month releases, speaks to how
complicated packaging the distros can be.

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 4:01 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org