[GTALUG] Desktop swap

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 17:10:29 EDT 2017

On 2017-08-01 09:05 AM, David Ing isss--- via talk wrote:
> Hugh, the question from Evan was about experiences.

Well, you're certainly going to have a lot of different experiences with
separate root partitions: each one needing to be kept up to date, having
to remember that you need this package in that install, weird things
happening to ~/.config (if it was shared amongst several desktops), …

I just did the Unity → Gnome switch in advance of Ubuntu 17.10. Gnome's
gone worryingly minimalist (but naturally, no faster¹) recently: locked
modal dialogues (o hai Macintosh System 6) that can't be moved out the
way², a top bar with nothing useful in it², a file manager with single,
locked file type associations³, a desktop lock/login manager that
expects you to swipe the mouse up the desk³, no application menus unless
they implement the tiny ‘≡’ menu³, browser-based desktop integration so
tight that if a Gnome Shell application hits a JavaScript problem and
locks, your system (incl networking) locks up³, and a virtual-desktop
pager than doesn't preview screen contents so you have to frantically
page through all your desktops to find the window you want³.

It still works better for me than KDE, though.

 Stewart

---
¹: I just realized that the computer I had 30 years ago had roughly
0.00312% the processing power, 0.000191% the RAM and 0.0000356% the disk
storage of the machine I have now. Yet that old machine could power on
and be inside a word processor (admittedly, running from a 16 KB
"sideways ROM") less than two seconds later

²: fixable with tweak tool

³: not fixable, AFAIK.