[GTALUG] Hardware Hack - help needed

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 21:41:24 EDT 2017

On 10 April 2017 at 15:38,  <phiscock at ee.ryerson.ca> wrote:
>> I have a deceased Thinkpad 340CSE.  I'd like to use it as a shell for
>> a Raspberry Pi (the case has a lot of space).  The original keyboard
>> is a thing of beauty by modern laptop standards, with several
>> millimetres of movement and a good feel - so I'd like to use it if at
>> all possible.  Unfortunately, a lot of searching has sent me
>> repeatedly to a page on how to convert a T60 keyboard to USB -
>> different keyboard, different connector(s).  There's a full
>> explanation with photos here:
>>
>> https://www.gilesorr.com/blog/thinkpad-retrofit-1.html
>>
>> If you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know on or off list.
>> If you think I need to add more information to the web page, same
>> thing: let me know.  If you know someone who might be able to help,
>> please forward this to them.  Thanks!
>>
> Back in the days of the Commodore PET, I wanted to convert the keyboard
> into Dvorak layout. Nowadays, I'd find the keyboard translation table,
> edit that and blow a new ROM.

I'd like to do that, but I think there are a few more steps involved.
Want to help out?  Can you point me to a detailed HOWTO for doing
this?  I'm not an electrical engineer, but I can solder, I have basic
programming skills, and I can probably lay hands on a ROM burner if
needed.  But it seems translating the output to USB is may also be an
added challenging step ...  Any help appreciated.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com