[GTALUG] desktop search in GNOME

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 20:42:41 EDT 2016

Hi Matt -

> I've been using GNOME for a long time and am used to it, but the desktop
> search functionality is pretty limited. In my current installation it
> doesn't seem like tracker is integrated into the "windows" key search --
> but from what I read it's supposed to be.

I'm in the same boat with Ubuntu. Tracker - or an equivalent - *used* to
be set up. I'd say about 2-3 years ago, desktop search on my machine was
comparable to Windows or Mac OS Spotlight: hit the hotkey, start typing,
and files containing your search term would appear. Now, at best I get
files with the search term *in the filename only*.

This is NBG. I have lots of files, and I'm a fairly messy person. A big
heap of files with searchable contents *should* be indexed, and not by me.

cheers,
 Stewart