[GTALUG] unexpected firefox "server not found" messages

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 06:15:28 EST 2016

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 9:32 PM, ac via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 09:52:43 -0500 (EST)
> "D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>> Once in a while I've been getting "Server not found" errors from
>> Firefox that surprise me.  The links are to real sites.  Other
>> browsers can see the site.
>> I thought that the problem might have to do with some tightened
>> security rules.  No, the problem is IPv6.
>> I don't have IPv6 at home.  But Fedora has it enabled normally.  This
>> generally doesn't cause problems.  But now it has.
>>
>> Fix:
>> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/server-not-found-connection-problem?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Server+not+found#w_ipv6>
>>
>> type URL "about:firefox"
>
> firefox ver 50.0 about:firefox = The address isn’t valid
>
> not sure if I care enough to figure out why they removed that.
>
> I may just change to chrome
>
> I find that the common trend in software is over development.
>
> Developers simply cannot accept that a product has reached a level of
> maturity and functionality where the use is optimal in relation to the
> issues that additional functionality would presume.

If it were only about functionality!

I found firefox to bork regularly give my usage style. Now I am using Opera
limiting myself to at most a couple or three pages and being diligent about
limiting the number of tabs and it works OK. I use min for my normal working
browser as I can have a much larger number of windows open, called tasks,
and seem to be able to get away with having large numbers of tabs open
(varying in number) per task - - - YMMV!

I despise Chrome for its reporting to the alphabet company all my browsing!!

Regards

Dee