[GTALUG] unexpected firefox "server not found" messages

ac ac at main.me
Wed Nov 23 22:32:25 EST 2016

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 09:52:43 -0500 (EST)
"D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> Once in a while I've been getting "Server not found" errors from
> Firefox that surprise me.  The links are to real sites.  Other
> browsers can see the site.
> I thought that the problem might have to do with some tightened
> security rules.  No, the problem is IPv6.
> I don't have IPv6 at home.  But Fedora has it enabled normally.  This
> generally doesn't cause problems.  But now it has.
>
> Fix:
> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/server-not-found-connection-problem?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Server+not+found#w_ipv6>
>
> type URL "about:firefox"

firefox ver 50.0 about:firefox = The address isn’t valid

not sure if I care enough to figure out why they removed that.

I may just change to chrome

I find that the common trend in software is over development.

Developers simply cannot accept that a product has reached a level of
maturity and functionality where the use is optimal in relation to the
issues that additional functionality would presume.

It is as if all huge and well funded software projects are trying to
become everything to everyone instead of doing the best job of that
which is supposedly its core focus.

Another recently encountered example is wordpress. I think they all
want to be everything.

Which means that in 10 years firefox will be wordpress and wordpress
will be firefox.

ridiculous as one or the other will fail and fail dramatically and miserably.

ac