[GTALUG] email etiquette.

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Wed Mar 16 16:13:37 UTC 2016

On 03/16/2016 11:16 AM, Giles Orr wrote:
> On 15 March 2016 at 23:44, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote:
[snip]
> just accept that we live in an imperfect world.

Given that the list defined preference is to post at the bottom I will
do this as often as I remember and as much as possible make sure I
remove most of the quoted text.

That being said here are my arguments for replies at the top.
1) It is easier on people with accessibility issues( I checked with
someone who handles making accessible documents for the Ont. Govt.).
2) mail readers that I have seen and used will open the message at the
top of the message so that I will need to scroll down through the
message to get to the reply.
This is exacerbated when working on a small screen device like a smart
phone.
Even if mail readers opened at the bottom they would then be showing the
signature block and possibly not exentding up into the replay.
3)bottom posting sets up massively editing the quoted text as manditory.
4)forced deletion of most of the quoted text can remove context for the
next reader forcing them to try and track back the message chain to find
the content assuming they have the previous messages.

I have deliberately chosen to fix Thunderbird so that it puts replies
at the top because I am convinced that for most people who I interact
with having immediately visible messages and uncensored content are
important features.

There is some logic and reasoning behind my choice and all are free to
disagree/disregard them.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||