[GTALUG] email etiquette. -- Top or Bottom or?

Peter Renzland renzland at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 20:07:05 UTC 2016

> 4) forced deletion of most of the quoted text can remove context for the next reader forcing them to try and track back the message chain to find the content assuming they have the previous messages.

This can be most important, especially when there is a danger of mis-quoting, mis-paraphrasing, or deleting context that is irrelevant to the quoter, but very important to the writer of the quoted text.

For several years now I have used the format exemplified in this message, where I quote text that I am addressing (which I may also highlight in its original context), then write my response below it, and then include (usually) the entire message below my signature.  That way I always preserve the immediate context of my quotes text, as well as the preceding exchange(s), which may be relevant.  Only when the tail end is totally irrelevant do I remove the irrelevant tail.

I am on many mailing lists with people who top-post, who don't know how to edit, and who often don't know what a Subject header is, or how to edit it, or how to start a new message thread, or how to find the email address of a sender, or how to locate previous messages, or how to find text in messages.

Nevertheless, these are humans whose dignity I must respect, but who are not able to understand, to learn, or to change "technical" matters.  Yet, they do contribute to the best of their ability to the dialog, and their contributions may be valuable.  It's a small accommodation to make, and since I am able, I do it.  Technically it is far better to keep previous messages so that one can find and review previous context.  Unfortunately that is not something that "non-technical" people will or can do.

Perhaps the *real* problem is that protracted group conversations on email lists are limited by the quoting mechanism of referencing prior text, and a design assumption legacy of offline, slow, and asynchronous, and also paper / printer terminals.  Imagine if we had highly intelligent email list presentation software that displays the messages properly sorted, scrolled to the newest unread.  With hyperlinks of included text.  (Unrealistic, I know.)

-- Peter Renzland at gmail.com