[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi 3 already!

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Mar 2 16:13:20 UTC 2016

and just two months after I bought a Pi 2 from Microsoft Store.

Here are some highlights, possibly inaccurately remembered.

Better
- Arm A53: significantly faster than the A7(?) in the Pi 2.  64-bit

- built in bluetooth and WiFi.  These apparently go through SDIO,
  bypassing the USB bottleneck.

- faster clocking for the GPU (I think)

Worse:

- takes more power to run.  You might need a new power supply

Same:

- no price increase!

- same case and peripherals as Pi 2 (but LEDs move)

- all USB is 2.0 (no USB 3.x)

- too much goes through a single internal USB 2.0 bus (ethernet,
  4 usb ports)

- although the processor is 64-bit, the software is still 32-bit.  I hope
  that this will change.

- 1G of RAM