[GTALUG] IPv4 Fraudsters

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Wed Jun 22 17:19:32 EDT 2016

On 06/22/2016 04:24 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:
> But I'd like to do better than that; my Debian instances would be
> decently happy speaking IPv6, I think, and probably my Android
> devices, too.

Yep, Linux has supported IPv6 for years, Windows since XP SP3, Android &
iOS phones and tablets all support IPv6.  In fact, I have been running
IPv6 on my home network for 6 years.  Initially I used a 6in4 tunnel to
a tunnel broker, but now I'm getting native IPv6 from Rogers.  One thing
to watch for is dhcpv6-pd, which is how some ISPs, including Rogers,
hand out prefixes.  I had been using openSUSE for my firewall/router,
but it didn't support dhcpv6-pd, so I switched to pfsense, which does.

BTW, "prefix" is the IPv6 term for subnet.  So, Rogers hands out /64
prefixes, which provide 2^64 addresses.  My tunnel gave me a /56 prefix
or 2^72 addresses.

IPv6 generally works the same as IPv4, other than the longer address,
but there are some differences, such as fixed length headers and
extension headers vs variable length headers in IPv4.

A good reference is IPv6 essentials:
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920023432.do

It's also currently available on Google Play for $14.74 (U.S.):
https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Silvia_Hagen_IPv6_Essentials?id=BonGAwAAQBAJ