[GTALUG] IPv4 Fraudsters

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 16:24:23 EDT 2016

On 22 June 2016 at 15:54, James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 06/22/2016 03:47 PM, Christopher Browne via talk wrote:
> > I don't manage any IPv4 allocations, but I'll bet there are some out
> > there on the list that do; it's probably worth taking a peek to ensure
> > that your favorite blocks don't look too disused.
>
> All the more reason to move to IPv6.  I'm on Rogers and have a block of
> 18.4 billion, billion (2^64) addresses to myself.  There are so many
> IPv6 addresses available, that every person on earth could have over
> 4000 /48 prefixes, of 2^80 addresses each.  Not worth anyone's effort to
> steal them.

Actually, this is suggestive of a talk topic...

I have thus far pretty actively evaded involvement with IPv6.

I keep adding "-4" stanzas to the startups of ISC services ;-)

But I'd like to do better than that; my Debian instances would be decently
happy speaking IPv6, I think, and probably my Android devices, too.

I have a mix of OpenWRT/DDWRT routers, probably could operate IPv6 at that
layer, too.

Actually, this is perhaps a good place for a meeting of some short topics
on IPv6...