[GTALUG] mysterious restarts

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Wed Jun 15 23:03:18 EDT 2016

On 06/15/2016 06:09 PM, Stewart C. Russell via talk wrote:
> On 2016-06-15 04:29 PM, Russell Reiter wrote:
>> I always thought it a shame that the windmill was only used to generate
>> hydrogen for the hybrid fleet. It would have been nice to have it feed
>> the grid
> It *always* has fed the grid. That hydrogen station coincidentally
> connected to the grid, and their claim that all the power for their
> process came from the turbine was utterly wrong. We tried to get them to
> change their plaque, but they wouldn't. I think the Hâ‚‚ station has gone
> now.
>
> The whole Hydrogen Economy thing kind of fizzled out a few years ago.
> The coolest and cleverest hydrogen energy thing in the province, though,
> sits and runs quietly in a nondescript box at Sheppard E & Vic Park.
> Most people don't know it's there.

The Hydrogen Economy did not quite fizzle so much as changes in
government pushed R&D into oil.
We installed a fuel cell based backup power system at Victoria and Adelaide.
The system worked as billed and life was good till the Sunrise propane
explosion changed the rules about getting H2 delivered  and Schneider
bought APC to leverage the large lead acid battery customer base.

Hydrogenics the manufacturers of the fuel cells is actually doing an OK
business in speciality applications like stationary power and indoor
power for things like forklifts.

The hydrogen to power process works quite well.
The problem is getting hydrogen into a convenient storage format.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||