[GTALUG] mysterious restarts

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Thu Jun 16 23:36:09 EDT 2016

Alvin wrote:
> The hydrogen to power process works quite well.
> The problem is getting hydrogen into a convenient storage format.

A few (10?) years ago I head a Science Friday show with guest George
Olah where he made a strong case for using hydrogen, but storing and
transporting it as methanol. It can be used directly (burned), have the
hydrogen stripped off and used in hydrogen fuel cells, and there are
methanol fuel cells. Methanol can be produced directly from carbon
dioxide. But the best part was that since methanol is a liquid, all our
current gasoline distribution and storage can be used without a
fundamental change in infrastructure. Don't know why this hasn't taken
off...

- --Bob.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol_economy

- --
Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> Phone: +1-519-635-9413
SOBAC Microcomputer Services http://sobac.com/sobac/
Software --- Office & Business Automation --- Consulting