[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Sat Jul 30 01:25:27 EDT 2016

Hello Lennart,

Thanks for your message.

My comments are inline below.

Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
To: "Steve Petrie, P.Eng." <apetrie at aspetrie.net>; "GTALUG Talk"
<talk at gtalug.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2016 3:36 PM
Subject: Re: [GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP
PC;

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 01:49:29PM -0400, Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via
> talk wrote:
>> The first big porting task will be to convert my Outlook Express mail
>> folders (2.38 GB) to Thunderbird on Linux. And then start using the
>> Linux PC for my email.
>
> Why am I thinking:
>
> Setup an IMAP server, point outlook at it, copy mail folders there,
> then connect other mail program at it and copy again.

Interesting idea. I would not want the complexity of setting up an IMAP
server myself, but could use my existing email hosting service to
provide the IMAP server.

I use POP3 for my email hosting. Just fetch the mail to the Outlook
Express folder on the Win XP PC, and then delete the mail from the POP3
server. Less exposure to "sniffing" by whoever. And there's absolutely
no way I'm going to depend on any hosting service, to backup my precious
2.38 GB of emails.

> I am sure there is a good reason not to do it that way though.  I
> would
> be surprised if thunderbird can't import from outlook express files
> directly.

The reason for me not to do it [bulk transfer email via IMAP &
Internet], is the slow bandwidth of my dial-up Internet connection. I
know, I know, I should abandon dial-up for a faster connection. And I
plan to. But not until the new Linux PC is fully operational, preferably
using dial-up.

I will need to connect the existing Windows XP PC and the new Linux PC
via direct Ethernet cable anyway, to transfer the Win XP HDD contents
over to the new Linux PC. This will be the fastest way to bulk transfer
the mail.

Maybe thunderbird can import from Outlook Express files. And that would
be great.