[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 17:59:55 EDT 2016

On Jul 28, 2016 1:51 PM, "Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk" <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

<snip>

> Interesting. And encouraging. Maybe I can hold out a while longer, and
keep using dial-up with the new Linux PC, postponing the extra expense of
DSL versus dial-up. I pay today $15 / mo. (+taxes) for dial-up access. My
ISP (Start.ca) wants $40 / mo. (plus taxes) for 5 Mbs DSL service.

This is a pretty comprehensive historical overview of the state of things.
Lots of troubleshooting tips for linux users, including the dreaded boot
windows first to initialize the modem and then reboot to linux. :-)

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Modem-HOWTO/

Russell
Sent from mobile.