[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 09:31:13 EDT 2016

On 26 July 2016 at 21:27, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> | From: "Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk" <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | I donlt really have a few weeks to spare. I need to get the Linux PC up
> | and running, so I can get back to the rest of my life.
>
> If you are not used to Linux, and you are used to Windows XP, and you
> don't have weeks to spare, you really should think carefully about
> switching to Linux.

I wanted to back Hugh on a couple points: switching to Linux if you're
not familiar with it isn't something to be done quickly.  Windows
7/8/10 would also have a learning curve, but the proprietary programs
he speculated you might have will work, whereas they probably won't
with Linux.

Linux is a fantastic OS and I encourage you to use it ... but expect a
learning curve.

> I have no idea of the longevity or robustness of blu-ray disks.  Consider
> diversifying to external HDDs.

I nearly chimed in with this option earlier: my backup method is
multiple external (spinning) HD drives, some of which are "portable,"
ie. 2.5".  With rsync, full backups are very fast - after the initial
synchronization.  And with the 2.5" drives, off-site is very easy.  I
tote one to a friend's place most weekends.  The initial cost may seem
a bit high, but the capacity is immense (up to 4TB even on 2.5" these
days), the backups are easy and fast, and the reliability is
excellent.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/