[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 16:50:31 EDT 2016

On Jul 26, 2016 9:39 AM, "Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk" <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> Hello Russel,
<snip>

> I get nervous when I read "standoofs, odd screws, little odds and ends"

That's OK as Lennart pointed out name brand stuff usually comes complete
with the necessary parts.

However in twenty five years of tinkering and a couple of hundred builds,
I've learned to plan for my own fumbling fingers and trying to mix and
match from different supply streams.

> Hacklab -- I remember vaguely reading about them. Thanks for the
> reminder.

I brought them up because GTALUG doesn't have a particular place of their
own. I checked the Hacklab website and it looks like the list
administrators have their monthly meeting at that location.

Also FYI Tuesdays after 6pm is the open house.

https://hacklab.to/

> If I do decide to build the new Linux PC myself, I will check out
> Hacklab. And find my "build buddy(ies)" on GTALUG :)

I live close to that location so if it is just unfamiliarity with the build
process and it can be done there, I'd be happy to lend a hand at some point.