[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Sat Jul 30 01:24:36 EDT 2016

Hello Lennart,

Thanks for your message.

My comments are inline below.

Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
To: "Steve Petrie, P.Eng." <apetrie at aspetrie.net>; "GTALUG Talk"
<talk at gtalug.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2016 3:20 PM
Subject: Re: [GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP
PC;

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 01:44:23PM -0400, Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via
> talk wrote:
>> The beautiful Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) case I have specified,
>> is
>> definitely brand name.
>
> It does look very nice.  It violates just one of my case rules.  It
> has
> a door in front of the optical drive.  I don't like those, because
> they
> can break your optical drive if software ejected.  Of course if you
> don't
> intend to have an optical drive which is very much a valid option
> these
> days, then that doesn't matter, and it does make it look very clean.
> I have been using the Silverstone TJ04-E myself lately.

Ooooh -- nasty !! A case that is designed to destroy optical drives.

I do plan to use an optical drive. As the initial HDD backup method. And
for OS installation.

Looked at the Silverstone TJ04-E. It should work fine (internal
clearances look OK).

So I will change the specification from Fractal Design to Silverstone.

Once again, GTALUG humbles this old guy ...

<snip>