[GTALUG] Suggestions: A Book for a Beginner, new to the Linux Shell

ac ac at main.me
Tue Jul 19 00:41:56 EDT 2016

On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 14:14:36 -0400
Kevin Cozens via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> On 16-07-17 11:59 PM, ac via talk wrote:
> > I guess most of us have not used man pages for so many years,
> hm... that could be an interesting little survey to put up on a
> website. The question could be "How do you get information about a
> new program?". The options could be: built-in help, man, info, all of
> the above, man and info, or other (ie. internet search).
> I use man pages all the time. I don't remember the last time I used
> info.

hmm, I think that I do not that frequently use new programs. I do
need a tool, I generally make it myself and before using any "new
programs" example: new hardware monitoring etc. I generally read
(and study) the documentation and other information that ships with the
program (as well as sometimes (most the time) the code as well)
before compiling or deciding to use it... - If there are many flags
(and new ones/combos were added regularly, like eg nmap) I sometimes
make myself a small and easy flag guide, which comes in quite handy for
programs not used frequently, I am too anal to use something that I do
not understand, unless someone directly tells me to :)

maybe i wear more tinfoil than the average person, maybe my life is
just very boring, maybe I am just extra lazy or an idiot, not sure...
adding: to check more man pages to my bucket list :)

Andre