[GTALUG] OwnCloud vs Nextcloud?

Blaise Alleyne email+libre at blaise.ca
Mon Jul 11 10:36:23 EDT 2016

On 11/07/16 10:19 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> Nextcloud forked OwnCloud last month and made its first release this
> month.
>
> <http://www.zdnet.com/article/nextcloud-adds-enterprise-support-and-ios-appliance/>
> Includes links to "Related Stories".
>
> Does anyone have any insight into which would be worth adopting?  Or
> something else?

This is the big blog post announcement:
http://karlitschek.de/2016/06/nextcloud/

> - it looks as if more devs went with Nextcloud

Yes, it seems like all the key people, including some of the founders of the
project, are going with NextCloud. That seems very likely to be the future.

However, they'll need a bit of time. As an ownCloud user, I expect to move to
NextCloud some time, but not today or tomorrow -- maybe later in 2016 or in
2017, as they get things in order.

> - both are trying to make a commercial go of it.  I fear that this doesn't
>   match my desire for open source from an open project.

"Commercial" is too broad -- from what I gather, the NextCloud fork exists
specifically to do a better job at governance of the project from a software
freedom perspective, to avoid too much control in the business side.

For example, from that blog post ( http://karlitschek.de/2016/06/nextcloud/ ):
- We will no longer require a contributor license agreement from contributors.
- We no longer do dual-licensing
- The new trademark will be hold by an independent foundation.
- We no longer do internal development planing behind closed doors. Everything
will happen in the open.

These are the kinds of things they've forked over, getting that relationship
*right* between a free software project and a corporate sponsor.

There are commercial approaches, like Automattic's with WordPress, where you
have a separate foundation and a pretty healthy relationship with a primary
corporate sponsor. Apparently, large chunks of the ownCloud community found
there wasn't that proper governance and relationship through ownCloud Inc. -- at
least, that's how I've understood it.

> - I cringe at PHP.  Especially since I'd like to expose my
>   installation to the internet.

PHP isn't inherently a problem, especially for sure a vibrant and strong project
like this. I'd be worried about some module written by a single developer or
something, but NextCloud/ownCloud being PHP itself is less important that the
health and strength and approach to security of the project and its developers.
*shrugs*