[GTALUG] OwnCloud vs Nextcloud?

ac ac at main.me
Mon Jul 11 10:52:48 EDT 2016

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 10:36:23 -0400
Blaise Alleyne via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
<snip so many cool stuff here>
> There are commercial approaches, like Automattic's with WordPress,
> where you have a separate foundation and a pretty healthy
> relationship with a primary corporate sponsor. Apparently, large
> chunks of the ownCloud community found there wasn't that proper
> governance and relationship through ownCloud Inc. -- at least, that's
> how I've understood it.
> > - I cringe at PHP.  Especially since I'd like to expose my
> >   installation to the internet.
> >
> PHP isn't inherently a problem, especially for sure a vibrant and
> strong project like this. I'd be worried about some module written by
> a single developer or something, but NextCloud/ownCloud being PHP
> itself is less important that the health and strength and approach to
> security of the project and its developers. *shrugs*

imho, it is too early to have a real opinion either way (re own/next)

just on a side note though, I love PHP - as in fanatically :) - I made
this https://wishes.me - just because i like php :)

and facebook, wordpress and so many other top projects are all php :)

(I do also love bash, and python oh, heck, okay also perl *bleh* okay
i love lots languages, yes, even java :) )