[GTALUG] Is there an "ubuntu" package for xterm-toolbar?

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 08:42:19 UTC 2016

On 9 January 2016 at 18:17, Paul King <sciguy at vex.net> wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone on this list uses xterm with a toolbar? Toolbars are
> the thingies which would normally work on CTRL+mousebutton, except that they
> are permanently fixed on to the top of the window below the title bar.
>
> I can get a toolbar by default on Cygwin/X, but not in Ubuntu Studio 14.x. The
> Ubuntu manpage for xterm says that +tb is the option to use, but all I get from
> that is a error message. Supported and documented under xterm, but not in the
> actual Ubuntu binary ... ?
>
> Do I need to download a different package which has the toolbar option compiled
> in? Anyone know?

At the top of the section of the xterm man page that lists "+tb" and
"-tb" it says:

"Not all options are necessarily configured into your copy of xterm."

And when I try to run "xterm -tb" ("-" rather than "+" is apparently
wanted to turn the permanent toolbar on) it gives me the short help
message and suggests I use "xterm -help" to get the long help message.
When I do that, I find that many options are listed, but not "tb".
I'm using an older version of Ubuntu, so I'm probably in the same boat
as you: I don't think that option is available to us.  Many of these
are throw-backs to 30 years ago and no one bothers with them anymore?

I also tried a bunch of settings in the ~/.Xdefaults file (speaking of
throwbacks that no one uses ...):

XTerm*mainMenu*toolbar: on
XTerm*mainMenu*toolBar: on
XTerm*toolBar: on

These made no perceptible difference, although I'm not entirely sure
I'm using them correctly.

I'm not sure what you're looking for in your menu items, but there are
an immense number of terminals available that have menubars across the
top: eterm, gnome-terminal, gtk-term, kterm, lxterminal,
xfce4-terminal, even roxterm (at some point I've used most of these,
but I admit I mostly used images.google.com to determine if they had
menu bars).  There are probably dozens of less well known ones as
well: everybody thinks they know how a terminal should be written.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com