[GTALUG] My work is looking for a linux network software developer

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jan 6 14:54:36 UTC 2016

If anyone is looking for work doing linux network coding, we need
more people.  We have at least some GTALUG people here already.

I have pasted the (plain text) version of the job listing here:

    Role: Linux Network Software Developer
    --------------------------------------

    About our company:
    Siemens RuggedCom is a leader in the development of rugged
    communication networking solutions designed for mission critical
    applications in harsh environments. We are an innovative, rapidly
    growing company where you'll find an exciting, dynamic work
    environment and significant opportunity for personal growth.

    We are currently looking for a Linux Network Software Developer
    for our Concord office who would report directly to the Director
    of Software Engineering; someone with good analytical skills, can
    multi-task on various projects, a good problem solver and has good
    organizational skills.

    Responsibilities:
    This role provides an opportunity to experience the entire life cycle
    of product development including specifications, design, coding,
    test, production and maintenance. This responsibilities include
    writing software, participating actively in development projects,
    both hardware and software component selection and developing
    technology for future products. You will be part of a small team
    and play an integral role in bringing advanced telecommunications
    products to market

    Qualifications:
    The ideal candidate has an undergraduate degree in Computer
    Science/Engineering, with at least five years of experience,
    developing software, and a good understanding of networking concepts.

    * Strong programming skills in Linux/C, script programming in
      Bash/Perl
    * Strong experience in developing and integrating / modifying open
      source projects (OSS)
    * Experience with UDP and TCP socket programming
    * Experience developing with POSIX threads

    Additional “nice to have” strengths in the following areas:
    * Additional nice to have strengths in the following areas: Debian
      Linux distribution
    * Experience with linux netlink protocol
    * Experience with serial encapsulation protocols (TCP/Modbus, DNP)
    * Experience with cellular network interfaces (e.g. PPP over cellular)
    * Experience with network firewall (netfilter/iptables)
    * TCP/IP and related Layer 3 protocols
    * Familiarity in contributing and interacting with the open source
      community mailing lists
    * Software configuration tools such as Git, Bugzilla

    If interested, please send your e-mail to <lennart.sorensen at siemens.com>

    We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those
    selected for an interview will be contacted.

The position is on the team that I lead, which probably explains why
they put my email as the place to send resumes.

Concord in this case is Langstaff at highway 400 (just about 1km north
of the last stop on the subway extention).

--
Len Sorensen