[GTALUG] Getting debian "dwww" to work on Ubuntu Studio

sciguy sciguy at vex.net
Sun Feb 21 19:33:28 UTC 2016

On 2016-02-21 15:48, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> Hi Paul -
>
>> … But for now, if I click on a command to see its manpage or
>> documentation, I am asked to download the gzipped file.
>
> This sounds like a very old bug I experienced years ago where
> dwww-convert didn't know about gzipped files. Is there anything to this
> effect in your /etc/dwww/dwww.conf? Is dwww-index++ being run
> periodically?

That's the problem with my configuration. There is just index.html,
dwww.css, and the PNG of the Debian logo. No hidden files either. There
was nothing under ../cgi-bin, since it wasn't there until I created it.
Thus, there is no dwww.conf, and dwww-index++ (is that the name of a
script?) is nowhere in sight.

There is also no cgi code inside the index.html telling me what the
script thinks should be handling the ?type=man at the end of the URL.

> You might be hitting permission problems between the new symlinked man
> page directories and where apache2 and dwww is allowed to look.

Or I could be just going up against an ill-equipped documentation
system, stripped down by Ubuntu. :-(

> cheers,
>  Stewart

Regards